top of page
  • Writer's pictureRobin Howard

Brighton Inshore Fishing - Catch report 14th June 2020

Nice to be writing a catch report again, instead of being embroiled in COVID politics. The only thing I need in life, is to fish, and be left alone by all things non fishy. That it has been difficult even to achieve that as of late, rather highlights the strange times we are in. These are not big or important needs in the scheme of things...

And a new experience. First go at a SAME HOUSEHOLD 3 PEOPLE. I have to say, it was not a great success from a boat loading and social distancing point of view. 3 people forwards of the console, is tight. And transit plans, although theoretically sound, in a bumpy sea such as we had this morning, have also revealed weaknesses. I will honour any SAME HOUSEHOLD bookings, but, going forward, I feel max 2 will see people have a better experience.

It was Mark, Brother Garry, and his lad Damien out this morning. Very aware of the situation, they agreed to a 30 minute bass hunt, and if nothing doing, on to the plaice which were willing feeders. And once again, we marked plenty of bass, down deep. Ignoring lures. On to the plaice.

Which were plentiful, but not quite wanting to commit to the feed today. We managed about 30 landed, but, maybe as many as twice again dropped off. Also lots of foul hooks. A few very plump dabs, half a dozen small tub gurnard and four small mackerel completed the session. Bumpy, wet in transit, but lots of action. Big smiles all around.

Something I noticed as we fished, were the balls of bait were getting ever bigger. At some point, the amount of bait swimming about will exceed the amount of bait crawling in the rocks. And then we will get our bass fishing back. With the forecast for an imminent spike in the Southerly wind, and an already bouncy sea, I made the decision to postpone 2nd sailing.

Which is when I popped back to my HQ, and wrote the above, as the more bits I clear early in the day, the sooner, theoretically, I get to sleep. But spookily, I had called it right. The lack of bass recently, has not been due to lack of bass, but lack of bass prepared to chase a rubber fish. Too busy gorging on soft spider crabs, which have been peeling in huge numbers this year. Now, perhaps with the spiders beginning to dwindle, or perhaps because baitfish outweighs the number of crabs peeling, or perhaps simply due to needing to eat something different, the bass decided to chase rubber once more.

Lee was out with me, and due to a last minute CV19 issue with my proposed client, Mark came back to fill the void. And he was happy he did. The fishing was quite frantic from the off, with lots of smalls, and some quality fish, including a brace for the table for Lee. Lots of action, and stacks of mackerel, mostly bigger than we had seen on the morning tide.

Then Lee's rod slammed over to something different. "I dont think thats a bass" I said, noting the dour responses on the top of the Okuma Helios SX 20-60gm tip. And also noticing how lovely the bend was under extreme pressure. These rods really have been a find. "I think that is either an undulate, or the huge turbot I have been expecting one day..." I continued. Lee wasn't too unhappy it wasn't the turbot... But he was overjoyed for the ray, nailed on a HTO Frolic in 30gm.

More mackerel and bass followed. Well over 30 bass for the session. And then it was time for a quick turnaround. Welcoming Scott and his lad Frankie on board, we headed back out. The sea has had a fair swell happening all day, and even now, despite zero wind, there was a bit of bounce. But BIF1 ate it, with Frankie grinning with delight. We picked up where we left off. Not quite so prolific, but Scott did have a brace for the table for his efforts. Frankie did very well indeed, and by the end of the session, I was very happy for him to join me in a technique I am developing, for persuading plaice to feed when there is no run of tide. It involves casting a 70gm HTO Frolic, quite hard. But Frankie is one of those lads, you only have to tell once, because he is attentive, and wants to learn. And so, very easy to teach.

And it all worked out very well. Another fair tally of bass and mackerel, and we finished up, on the plaice. With Frankie catching the biggest of the day, caught completely by himself, with the new technique. I think we will see a lot more of Scott and Frankie, and I will be happy for it.

Still no takers for tomorrow (MONDAY 15th) 1000 and 1400 sessions. If this blog has wet your appetite, please feel free to message me on 07970 112774

407 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page